One of my best girl friends, Jessica from Vancouver (Canada) recently sent me this recipe.
I did of course adapt it slightly (can I ever just follow a recipe?) This is an easy make ahead meal for those busy nights.
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs of organic ground beef (turkey or buffalo also would work)
- 1 cup each of organic red onions and diced organic green or colored pepper
- 2 cloves of minced organic garlic
- 1 can organic black beans (drained)
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of organic frozen or canned corn
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups organic tomato sauce
- 1 cup organic salsa
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh organic cilantro
- 12 organic corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (cheddar or Monterey jack)
- spinach – optional
- 1/4 cup chopped organic green onions – optional
- 1 cup organic sour cream – optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 –inch casserole dish with organic olive oil and set aside.
In a large skillet, cook ground meat, onions, peppers, and garlic over medium–high heat until meat is no longer pink. Break up any large pieces as it’s cooking. Add black beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, and cumin. Cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Add tomato sauce, salsa, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.
To assemble lasagna, spread 1/3 sauce mixture over bottom of casserole dish. Top with ½ the tortillas, overlapping them as necessary. Top with 1/3 sauce mixture, (a layer of spinach if wanted) followed by ½ the cheese. Cover cheese with remaining tortillas, (spinach if desired) followed by remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese over sauce and top with green onions. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes.
Let lasagna stand for at least 10 minutes before slicing for easier serving. Top each piece with a dollop of sour cream. Personally I serve with homemade guacamole!