This recipe was adapted from Scandi Home’s Rice-Crusted Vegetarian Quiche. While I could eat only veggies and not include meat into much of diet, my husband (and youngest daughter) do not feel the same. So I made our quiche a veggie italian sausage one, however you could add or remove any ingredients really.
- 3 cups of warm cooked rice (about 1 cup uncooked rice)
- 1 large organic egg
- 2 tbsp of grated cheese ( I used extra sharp cheddar cheese and I threw in a little parmesan I had left over)
- 1/2 finely chopped organic red pepper
- 1/2 finely chopped organic green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped organic broccoli
- 6 organic eggs, scrambled
- 1/2 organic heavy creme
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (again I used extra sharp cheddar cheese)
- 1/2 pound of organic italian sausage
- salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a glass quiche pan with butter. Combine crust ingredients : cooked rice, egg and cheese in bottom of quiche pan. Wet hands and push mixture into pan to form a crust. Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
Remove crust from oven and let sit. In one pan over the stove brown italian sausage and remove any fat if necessary. In another pan over the stove sauté all of the vegetables until tender.
In a bowl combine filing of eggs and creme. Pour half of the filing into cooked crust, then add meat and vegetables. Pour remaining filing and sprinkle cheese, salt and pepper.
Place into 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until egg mixture solidifies.
Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes before serving.