Greek food is one of my favorites….tzatziki, hummus, olives…cucumber, onions…lemon..it’s all so fresh and good. I tend to cook this meal more in the summer time, so that I (well really my husband) can grill the chicken outside and also I can package the lemon potatoes in tin foil to cook (usually I precook a little in the microwave to get slightly tender).
This meal is a family staple (you know one of those ones that everyone enjoys and eats without complaining). So in the non-grilling months I just throw everything onto a cookie sheet and put it in the oven. My recipe is for a family of four (2 kids and 2 adults) so you will need to adjust if you are cooking for a party. I also recommend that you always taste as you go, whether you are cooking or baking, it’s important. You can make this more lemony if you like or for the salad more vinegary (is that a word?).
Greek Chicken and Potato ingredients:
- 3-4 medium size organic russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup organic lemon extra-virgin olive oil (can use regular olive oil too)
- juice from 1/2 organic lemon
- 2 tsp greek seasoning (coarse salt, black pepper, oregano, marjoram if you don’t have the seasoning mix and usually garlic powder but I like fresh better)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet (one with edges) with coconut oil spray. Set aside.
Peel and cube potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel. In a medium size bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and greek seasoning. Toss potatoes in the marinade until completely covered. Remove potatoes (keep the remaining marinade for later use) and place around the edges of the greased cookie sheet.
Place chicken into the same bowl with the remaining marinade and completely cover. If you need to add more ingredients (ie: lemon juice, oil, or spices, then do so). Place chicken in the center of the cookie sheet and crowd the potatoes around the chicken. Pour the remaining marinade over everything and place into the oven.
Cook for about an hour, depending upon size of potato cubes and thickness of chicken. Check regularly and turn both potatoes and chicken to brown.
Greek Salad ingredients:
- two handfuls of organic grape tomatoes, cut in half
- a dozen kalamata olives, pitted and cut in half
- half an english cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup feta cheese (I like to use the one with sundried tomato and basil)
- 1/2 organic pepper (I used orange for the color but any will work)
- 1/4 cup of sliced organic red onion
- some fresh herbs (I used parsley, but whatever you have on hand works – basil, parsley, oregano)
Greek Salad Dressing ingredients:
- 1/4 cup (a couple of glugs) organic lemon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (3 splashes) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano (crush it first in your hand to release flavors)
- salt and pepper
For the salad, combine all ingredients and toss with dressing.
Serve everything with gluten free flat bread/pitas and tzatziki and hummus!